Thursday, August 2, 2012

Procrastinating

Lately I hear virtually everyone say "January 1st" or "next year" I am going to start this... diet, new job stuff, family stuff, exercise, being healthier, doing good deeds... whatever... and I say "Why wait"?  What are you waiting for? What's stopping you now?  If you TRULY want to do this "thing", why are you putting it off until later?


Simple, you don't really want to.  Procrastination is a way to feed into the fear of accomplishing something we may "wish" to do, but have no intention of doing.  


"I will put it off until then, as I REALLY don't want to attempt to accomplish that."  It's too much trouble, or I don't think I can succeed.... with that thought process, we don't succeed... it is too much trouble.  It's an inconvenience.  Then that time comes to "do that dreaded thing" and we "try".... trying is just a word for saying "I can't".... I "intended to, but it JUST didn't work out".  Welp, next year maybe.... some other time... then we find ourselves back in that "circle" of starting ALL over again... with that dreaded thing we didn't really want to do to start with.


Try this.  Figure out WHY you don't want to do whatever it is that you don't really want to do.  THAT is what you should work on!  Work on the "why"... is it fear of failure?  Is it "too hard"? Then why?  The fear of something is actually greater than the actual "thing" we dread.  We create our fears of "what if" or "I can't because .... (you finish the sentence)".  This will give you better insight as to "why" you keep putting that thing off and help you face that "thing" to move past it.  


Don't wait... do it!  Everyday is an opportunity to do that new thing we put off before.  Everyday is a day to succeed and put a "dreaded" thing behind us... because once we do, it becomes a tiny thing of the past that really doesn't matter anymore.


Original Post: 12/25/11

No comments:

Post a Comment